Going Back In Time

Last night in my sleep, I went back in time.  I went back to the place that I call home.  I went back to my grandmothers.  I spent time going through all the rooms of her house.  I saw them in a time lapse from when I was little up to the last time I saw the house on the inside.

The house had many changes throughout the years.  Interior and Exterior.  Paint, flooring, an added room.  It was my safe haven.  No matter where I physically lived as a child (as we moved around a lot), grandma's house was my home.

I remember I used to crawl out on the roof and sit up there at night and just dream.  There was an old tv antenna that I used to climb up.  My grandmother used to yell at me for climbing it, as it wasn't very sturdy.  But it never let me down.  It was like Jack and the Beanstalk, that antenna was my beanstalk.

Over the years, the house took on different faces.  It changed as I grew, yet, still remained the same.  It was the place where the entire family gathered at one time for Christmas.  As grandma aged, and  the family grew, the parties stopped.  My grandmother had 7 living children, each with families of their own.  As a child, I helped my grandmother maintain the family book.  The book that kept all the birthdays and family growth information.  She acquired 17 grandchildren from those 7 children.  My grandmother passed away 15 years ago, but her legacy lives on.  She would now have 29 great grandchildren and 5 great grandchildren.  It seems the current generation doesn't seem to be reproducing as quickly as previous generations.

I know that my grandmother watches over me, as she was the most influential person in my life.  My grandfather passed away when I was 18, he had up to that point, played the male model in my life.  It was a very important role that he had to play, and I never did get to tell him what he meant to me.  I did however, get the chance to spend the last days and hours of life with my grandmother.

It's the foundation of our lives that impacts us as we grow.  Today's generation will never know how deep those roots go, for as the generations grow, they lose sight of where they came from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Circle Of Darkness

Our World Is A Horrible Place

Expressing My Thoughts