Car Buying... UGH!!

So, I decided to venture into an area that I personally hate.... car shopping!  I set my sights on buying a first generation Dodge Durango!  I have been in love with these since they first came off the assembly line.  I also like the first generation because I think they look sportier than their newer models.  So, I venture out in search of a Durango.  My criteria consisted of
  • No carpayment
  • As low of mileage as possible for the generation chosen
  • Had to be within a certain $$ amount, as would be expected.

OK, so, I had a 1991 Jeep that I sold in order to have cash in hand for a Durango.  Yes, I know that I am moving up to something much newer, but jeeps hold their value rather well, and I know that a Durango can be bargained against their gas guzzling and other not-so popular assets!  I on the other hand, could care less about them, I just love them.

My adventure began scouting Craigslist, along with other resources, I was looking for something that was being sold private, as I hate hate HATE car salesmen!  However, my search did not lead to anything with potential.  So, I did the next best thing, I announced it on social networking that I am in search of a first generation Durango.  DING!  I got people spotting them everywhere, which was a great resource and saved me from driving all over the country.

A friend of mine had directed me to a very nice looking Durango that he had seen at a local "CAR LOT"!  So, being who I am, I venture out after hours to look at this Durango.  And I must say, it was a very sweet looking Durango!  It was everything I wanted and more.  Whoever had owned it previously you could tell he took very good care of this thing.  It looked garage kept and was VERY low mileage!  PERK!!!!

So, a friend of mine knows the guy that owns the car lot!  SCORE!!  I got all the information I needed to do a History report and do some research so that I could use the knowledge to bargain for this particular vehicle.  My friend prepped me on his friend and gave me pointers on how to approach him in the bargaining process.

All prepared and ready to haggle, I walk into the tiny little office to find a large man sitting behind a desk, looking about as motivated as a brick.  I express my interest in the vehicle as he looks around his office, apparently in search of keys and a dealer tag.  He made absolutely no attempt to get up and walk out with me.  Which, on one hand, he wasn't a pushy salesman (perk?), but on the other hand, the atmosphere in that situation was more of a (your a female, go away).

So fine, I take the keys and the plate.  I go out and do my thing.... I go over the vehicle, then I jump in and fire it up..... WHAT?????  NO GAS??????????  The gas light was ON and the needle was on E!  HELLO???  Where am I gonna go with that?????  I was NOT happy!  I ventured out anyway with the thought that if I run out of gas, it's HIS problem!  It ran very well and rode as I expected it to for the entire half a mile I braved (and that was about all the further I was willing to walk)!

So, I drive it back, park it, and re-enter the office.  I made my offer.  Without even looking at me, this man shot down my offer!  Reason?  "We are never going to agree on a price"!  Followed up with how he did all this work on this vehicle and put money in it that he didn't want to lose.  Um, this vehicle had less than 80K miles on it and looked in almost mint condition!  So, as badly as I wanted this vehicle, with all the research and homework I did on this particular vehicle.... that man can take that Durango and shove it up his ass!  I also went in there knowing that he had acquired that Durango almost a year prior to my inquiry!  So... keep it for another year, keep it till it rots!  Even if we WOULD agree on a price?  I didn't like his attitude, sooooo, just on that notion alone... I was no longer interested in THAT particular vehicle anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Circle Of Darkness

Our World Is A Horrible Place

Expressing My Thoughts