The Whoas of an Empty Nest

Ahhh, the empty nest.  This is the stage of life that is to be enjoyed after years of hard work raising up the youngins.  I am in the beginning stages of this particular stage.   A mere week into it actually.  I must say, that I am rather enjoying it.  

For years, 22 of them to be exact, my life revolved around my children, 1 in particular.  I couldn't keep what I wanted in the fridge, for when I went for it, it would be gone.  I had to hide anything that I wanted for myself.  Although we raise our children to be mindful of others, they rarely practice their upbringing at home.  It had come to a point where I would just keep MY stuff in my car.  NOW, I can fill the fridge with whatever I want and I know that it isn't going to walk away.  This is a concept that I am still acclimating myself to.  

Laundry, it is now ONLY mine.  I don't have 10 loads a week, I only have what I dirty.  I no longer have to scuff when I reach for a towel and there is no more.  If the last towel has been used, I now have only myself to blame.  However, this is also when I will make sure to throw a load of towels in.

Dishes are now only mine.  The great thing about this is I will save on energy.  Why?  Because I don't have to run the dishwasher twice a day.  There are not going to be 20 cups in the sink per day!  The cereal bowl, not bowls, can be hand washed and put in the drainer.  I won't have to cook meals everyday.  I can cook what I want or even IF I want to.  If I don't feel like cooking, I can go to a Drive-Thru and ONLY buy myself something.  I don't have to worry about making sure the kids have been fed.

It has been less than a week of my new found sanctuary of peace.  Since then, I have cut and colored my hair, bought some new clothes (that will stay IN my closet), and took some ME time.  I locked all the doors and disappeared from the world for a few days.  It was great!

Whoever said that empty nest is traumatic.  Yes, it is very.  I don't know how I will manage getting only myself up and around int he mornings.  Not having to argue and fight every single morning about waking up to go here or there.  Not having to rush around in the morning to make sure that everyone is wearing clean clothes, or making sure they are fed, or that they have everything they need for their day, while when I get to where I am going, I realize that I had forgotten what I needed.  My focus can now be on my needs, not the needs of others.

This new found lifestyle of mine is going to be so difficult to adjust to.  I can sleep in a little longer, I can go to  bed a little later, and I can rest now knowing that all is well.  This adjustment period is going to be very time consuming as I take some time to tend to MY needs and MY wants.  While I can take some time to clean and know that it will stay that way until I mess it up.  And when I add some scent to the air, it will remain pleasant and not be overtaken by the scent of whatever the kids bring into the mix.  

Yes, now I have time to eat breakfast and pack lunch.  I can take time to go for a walk, or even join a gym.  My life is now mine to do with whatever I want to do with it.  Yes, this empty nest thing is just what I needed after all the years I put into raising happy, healthy, self sufficient, well rounded adults.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Circle Of Darkness

Our World Is A Horrible Place

Expressing My Thoughts